The Phuket vegetarian Festival is an annual event held during the ninth lunar month of the Chinese calendar. it is believed that the vegetarian festival and its accompanying sacred rituals bestow good fortune upon those who religiously observe this rite.
During this time, local residents of Chinese ancestry strictly observe a 10-day vegetarian or vegan diet for the purpose of spiritual cleansing and merit-making. Sacred rituals are performed at various Chinese shrines and temples and aesthetic displays such as walking barefooted over hot coals and ascending ladders with bladed rungs are performed by entranced devotees known as “Ma Song”.
- Tom kha hed, tomatoes and water mushrooms in a creamy coconut broth infused with lemongrass, galangal and kaffir lime leaves.
- Exploding quinoa served o green mango muddled with chilies, peanuts coriander, mint and lime, palm sugar dressing.
- Firm tofu stir-fried with kaprow basil, soya and chilies.
- Crispy quinoa dumplings in mild green coconut curry with Thai basil and pea eggplant.
- Spicy wing bean with fried shallots and coconut cream dressing.