KUT’s Special Scholarship Program (SSP) was established in 2003 to support the advanced research of the university by enlisting the help of highly capable international students. Every year in April and October, the university enrolls selected foreign doctoral students under specific research projects. The students pursue the doctoral course in English while at the same time assisting their host professor as a research assistant (RA). Through this program KUT wishes to expand and deepen international ties with academic and educational institutions all over the world.
KUT is now accepting applications for April 2010 and October 2010 enrollment. 20 students will be selected each year.
Program of the Study
- Course for International Students
- Doctoral Program (3 years)
- Department of Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering
- Receive up to 1,200, 000 yen per year for working as a research assistant.
- Exemption from 300,000 yen enrollment fee and 535,800 yen (per year) tuition fee.
- Receive 200,000 yen for travel and initial living costs (given only to applicants who are living outside Japan at the time of application)
Applicants are required to meet all of the following conditions
- To have or to be expected to acquire a master’s degree before enrollment.
- To have intention, adequate knowledge and research skill to work as a research assistant under the one of research projects listed here
- To have an excellent academic record
- To have a high English proficiency
- To be 35 years old or under at the time of enrollment
- To have other than Japanese nationality
- Scholarship recipient must work as a research assistant under the specific research project. However, the total paid working time per week, including research assistant work, should not exceed 28 hours.
- Scholarship recipient must report his/her study and research achievements to the dean of the graduate school of engineering at the end of each semester. The submitted reports will be evaluated.
The scholarship will be given to the successful applicants for one year and will be extended for increments of one year up to a total of three years, unless the university terminates the scholarship for any of the following reasons;
- If the scholarship recipient takes time off from school
- If a study and research achievements report submitted is considered inadequate for a scholarship recipient.
- If the university considers the scholarship recipient’s behavior inappropriate for a scholarship recipient.
- Choose the research project from the SSP Research Project List for October 2009 & April 2010 Enrollment. http://www.kochi-tech.ac.jp/gs_e/project/ssp_projects.html
- Complete and submit all required documents. http://www.kochi-tech.ac.jp/gs_e/ssp_documents_list.htm
- Completed Application Form
- Original Bachelor’s degree Academic Transcript in English.
- Original Master’s degree Academic Transcript in English.
- Original Master’s Degree Certificate in English. (If applicant is still working towards his/her master’s degree, submit a certificate issued by university which states the expected date of acquisition of the master’s degree.)
- – Past fields of study in English (approx 1page)
– Research Outline of intended research in English (1 to 2 pages)
- 2 letters of recommendation in English.
- Certificate of Health in English (issued within the past 6 months.)
- 2 recent head-and-shoulders photographs (3cm wide and 4cm high)
- March 31, 2010 for April 2010 enrollment
- September 30, 2009 for October 2010 enrollment
The applicant will be notified of the admission decision by express mail within 3 months after the deadline of the application.
Send application documents to:
International Relations Center
Kochi University of Technology
Tosayamada. Kochi. 782-8502. Japan
Tel: +81 887 53 1130
Fax: +81 887 53 1131
For further information and needed forms can be found at http://www.kochi-tech.ac.jp/gs_e/admission/index.html
Source: www.careercenter.ait.ac.th, http://www.kochi-tech.ac.jp/gs_e/admission/index.html