Phuket is one of the few provinces where we can see most of people are wearing in white during the Vegetarian festival. This year the festival falls into October 18-26, 2009. Year after year, there are more and more participants join this festival. Those including not Phuket-born and non-Chinese Phuketians.
Why they become a vegetarian?
- 1st group: Being vegetarian for personal health
- 2nd group: Vegetarians who have mercy for animals
- 3rd group: For likely the same reason as 2nd group, they worry about karma considering eating meats is equal to killing animals.
- 4th group: People who believe in the motto “When in Rome do as Roman do.”
How good is a vegetarian diet?
It is believed that eating a vegetarian diet, you’re likely benefiting from the natural detoxifying. Vegetables and fruits will better your digestive system and the circulatory system works well.
10 Rules for the Vegetarian Festival
- Cleanliness of bodies during the festival
- Clean kitchen utensils and to use them seperately from other who do not join the festival
- Wear white during the festival
- Behave physically and mentally
- No meat eating
- No sex
- No alcoholic drinks
- People at mourning period should not attend the festival
- Pregnant ladies should not watch any ritual
- Ladies with period should not attend the ritual
This 9 days period festival seems to be the only chance you can see Phuketians gather together to continue their important traditions. So come and join.