About Phuket Vegetarian Festival 2020, October 17th-25th, this year it still has street processions, in a style of cars parade not walking parade. And some activities will be cancelled such as walking through the fire and oil bathing because of COVID-19.
More information about Phuket Vegetarian Festival
Phuket Vegetarian Festival (or Jia Chai in local) began in 1825 at Kathu Village. The festival is also known as “Nine Emperor Gods Festival”, it is an annual festival which starts from 1st – 9th of the ninth Chinese-lunar month. This is one of the famous festivals of Phuket.
In Phuket Vegetarian Festival, there are “Ma Song” or “Medium”, they will manifest supernatural powers that they get from gods as perform self-tortures to bring the community good luck.
Throughout the festival fireworks and drums are sounded, especially during ceremonies. Believe that louder bring luckier, the noise will drive away evil spirits.
A procession is including
1. Big palanquin or “Tua Lien”, it is a place of Kew Ong Tai Te (Nine Emperor Gods)
2. Colorful flags with Chinese letters, “Kew Ong Tai Te”
3. Black Flag or “Ong Leng”, it is a holy flag of Ma Song, to chase bad luck away from the people and also use for invite god come and out from Ma Song too.
4. “The bodyguard”, 4 – Ma Song beside Tau Lien
5. “Ma Song” or “Medium”
10 traditional rules for the Phuket Vegetarian Festival
1. Clean body
2. Clean kitchen, use separately kitchenware just for vegetarian
3. White costume
4. Observe the precepts
5. No meat-eating
6. No sex
7. No alcoholic drinks
8. People at mourning period should not attend the festival
9. Pregnant ladies should not watch any ritual
10. Ladies with period should not attend any ritual