PHUKET, THAILAND – Thanyapura Health and Sports Resort’s third annual King of the Mountain Trail Run, held on 3rd September 2017 at 7:00 am, remains one of the most popular trail runs with 800 runners participating in the 4-km fun run, 8-km and 15-km races across Khao Phra Thaeo National Park’s mountainous terrain. 202 runners competed in the 15- km whereas 270 participants ran in the 8- km.
On the same day, the first Thanyapura Mountain Bike Classic began right after the trail run at 11:00 am. The island’s newest mountain bike race featured a challenging course through the national park. Mountain bikers competed in four distances: 4-km fun race, the 9-km, the 18-km (two loops of 9-km laps) and the 27-km (three loops of 9-km laps). 50 mountain bikers competed in all four distances.
King of the Mountain Trail Run Results
The male winners of the 15-km:
1. Khun Somchock Jangwang, 1st place and awarded the title “King of the Mountain” (01:34:28.4)
2. Mr. Sasha Gervais, 2nd place, competed as Thanyapura’s brand ambassador (01:38:06.1)
3. Khun Monthon Ketsuwan, 3rd place (01:38:49.9)
The female winners of the 15-km:
1. Ms. Toni Wolinski, 1st place and awarded the title “Queen of the Mountain” (02:03:29.1)
2. Ms. Leonie Plaistowe, 2nd place (02:06:31.3)
3. Khun Aree Dechochai, 3rd place (02:10:58.2)
The male winners of the 8-km:
1. Mr. Callum Pedroni, 1st place (01:02:09.9)
2. Khun Nipon Kochasing, 2nd place (01:03:07.2)
3. Khun Wuttipong Panchalad, 3rd place (01:04:13.4)
The female winners of the 8-km:
1. Khun Pantip Bobthong, 1st place (01:12:51.4)
2. Khun Tidarat Pimvoramatakul, 2nd place (01:14:17.8)
3. Khun Kantheera Rungsanganotai, 3rd place (01:17:18.3)
Thanyapura Mountain Bike Classic Results
The male winners of the 27-km:
1. Khun Anan Suksrisin, 1st place (01:21:07.1)
2. Khun Suponchai Bangthong, 2nd place (01:21:08.2)
3. Khun Nopparat Piromrat, 3rd place (01:21:41.1)
The male winners of the 18-km:
1. Khun Thanawat Petsud, 1st place (00:54:25.7)
2. Khun Purivat Piwnin, 2nd place (00:54:26.9)
3. Khun Thapakom Mekmanee, 3rd place (00:55:21.0)
The female winners of the 18-km:
1. Jarinya Suebjakthin, 1st place (01:04:02.9)
2. Marcela Soto, 2nd place, is Nutritionist and Muay Thai coach at Thanyapura (01:20:39.5)
3. Kaitlin Kirby, 3rd place (01:28:58.1)
The male winners of the 9-km:
1. Thanakorn Korkaew, 1st place (00:29:19.9)
2. Apiwat Appamarakang, 2nd place (00:29:24.9)
3. Pisitson Veerakit, 3rd place (00:30:16.4)
The female winners of the 9-km:
1. Pleeya Choopeng, 1st place (00:42:13.7)
2. Thidarat Pimworamethakul, 2nd place (00:42:59.2)
3. Rattikarn Kaewkajohn, 3rd place (00:48:58.2)
“Thanyapura has been consistent in organising trail competitions each year. This year attracted many trail runners. It benefits health, sports and tourism activities. Phuket is another province that creates successful events to align with the government’s agenda. These amazing activities will continue to build Phuket’s reputation for the tourism industry,” said Khun Virat Patee, Phuket Director of the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT).
“It was fantastic event. This is proof that Thanyapura can organise a great race. I saw good team spirit from everybody and participation. We went from 80 runners in the first year to 800 runners in the third year – that says it all. Next year, it’s going to be even bigger. We’re going to push the bike race a lot more because a lot of people are interested, especially the kids,” said Paolo Randone, Vice President F&B and Sports of Thanyapura.
“As the director of both races, I’m proud and happy. We created a trail run in a short amount of time and people can find a real challenge to enjoy and experience Phuket’s jungle. The Thanyapura Mountain Bike Classic was difficult and the area around it was too wild. We’re able to build a great course in amazing spots,” said David Escolar Ballesteros, Swimming and Cycling Coach of Thanyapura.
Thanyapura continues to promote non-traditional, off-road races over the past three years to experienced and beginning trail runners. King of the Mountain Trail Run is a sold-out event with a growing number of participants each year. The Thanyapura Mountain Bike Classic is created by David Escolar Ballesteros, pro mountain biker and Thanyapura’s Swimming and Triathlon Coach, who recognised a rising demand for more competitive mountain biking events in Phuket.
King of the Mountain Trail Run owes its success to these sponsors: Ministry of Tourism and Sports, Tourism Authority of Thailand, Sports Authority of Thailand, Indigo Design, Vatemon, Bangkok Hospital Phuket, Sea Horse Drinking Water, S.P.A. Drinking Water, Anda Focus, Optima, Khao Phra Thaew Non-Hunting Area, Khun Mae Ju, Canon, The Phuket News, Khao Phuket and Live 89.5.
The Thanyapura Mountain Bike Classic is made possible by: Ministry of Tourism and Sports, Tourism Authority of Thailand, Sports Authority of Thailand, Indigo Design, Vatemon, Bangkok Hospital Phuket, Anda Focus, Optima, Khun Mae Ju, The Phuket News, Khao Phuket and Live 89.5.
In November, Thanyapura will organise the “Thanyapura Classic Cycling Race” on the 12thand “Foremost Ironkids” triathlon on the 25th. In December, Thanyapura will host “Colour Fun Run” on 9 December as part of Phukethon, Asia’s Major Running Festival from 8-10 December.
For more information about other events throughout the year, visit www.thanyapura.com/events.