Mrs. Valaithip Piriyawarasakul (3rd left), Chairperson of ONYX Hospitality Group Foundation, Ms.Yowalak Thiarachow (3rd right), Country Director of WWF-Thailand and executives of ONYX Hospitality Group congratulate Ms.Nittaya Tunyong (Centre), Wannawit School Board Member and Eco-Schools student committee on opening ceremony for implementing Eco-Schools Programme.
1st photo (standing from left to right)
1. Mr. David Cumming, Regional Vice President of Operations for Bangkok, Malaysia and Laos, ONYX Hospitality Group
2. Ms. Thaveerut Charupatanapong, Executive Vice President – Chief Financial Officer, ONYX Hospitality Group
3. Mrs. Valaithip Piriyawarasakul , Chairperson of ONYX Hospitality Group Foundation
4. Miss Nittaya Tunyong, Wannawit School Board Member
5. Ms.Yowalak Thiarachow, Country Director of WWF-Thailand
6. Ms. Waraporn Tong-on, Environmental Education Project Manager, WWF-Thailand
7. Ms. Lisa Thomas, Director of Corporate Social Responsibility, ONYX Hospitality Group
Bangkok, 30 August 2017- ONYX Hospitality Group Foundation, in collaboration with WWF-Thailand, is taking part in an environmental educational Eco-Schools Programme at Wannawit School in Bangkok. The opening ceremony started with the presenting of Eco-Schools Armbands to the student committee to symbolise their commitment to preserving and maintaining a sustainable school environment. To achieve the goal, WWF-Thailand will share their knowledge about sustainable environmental management to the student committee while ONYX Hospitality Group Foundation will provide financial support via its ‘Baht for a Better Life’ CSR programme.
The Eco-Schools Programme is a fundamental initiative which encourages young people to engage with their environment through actions to preserve and protect the ecosystem. The actions will start in the classroom, expands towards the whole school and eventually foster change in the community at large. This programme is intended to provide the youth with the achievement of being able to influence the environmental management policies of their schools, and ultimately steer them towards certification and the prestige which comes with being awarded a Green Flag. The Eco-Schools programme is an ideal way for schools to embark on a meaningful path towards improving the environment in both the school and the local community while at the same time having a life-long positive impact on the lives of young people, their families, school staff and local authorities.
In the Eco-Schools programme, students and adults will learn about environmental management through hands-on practice in schools by following 7 steps:
1) Set up of an environmental committee
2) Review of a relevant environmental situation
3) Creation of an action plan
4) Monitoring and evaluation of activities
5) Integrating the plan into the school curriculum
6) Informing and Involving the students and community
7) Creating an Eco-Code
After the opening ceremony, ONYX Hospitality Group volunteers conducted a fun and insightful learning activity with Wannawit students on the topic of waste management that is one of the themes of the ‘Eco-Schools Programme’.
Following this initial collaboration, ONYX Hospitality Group Foundation and WWF-Thailand look forward to expanding the Eco-Schools Programme to other schools in other locations where Amari properties are located, with the intention of expanding on the company’s commitment towards promoting and supporting the environmental preservation in the communities where the company is part of.