On June 11, 2016, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Regional Development Mission for Asia and its partners will host the first green-Y summit, ‘Convening Green Minds: A Conversation about Climate’. This free event will be a platform for lively discussion and the perfect opportunity to for industry professionals and students interested in climate change in Southeast Asia to come together for a day that we believe will inspire, motivate, connect and energize green minded attendees. We would like to invite you to join us at the Conrad Hotel in Bangkok on this exciting occasion.
Over 300 university students and professionals in the sector will be treated to an afternoon program of talks interspersed with short videos, interviews and other entertainment, all under the overall, uniting theme of climate change. Each talk will be a carefully curated presentation by a thinker, an expert, a professional or an artist passionate about climate change mitigation and adaptation in the Southeast Asian context. We will examine how climate change is already impacting communities in Southeast Asia and how youth and civil society can get involved to mitigate or adapt to these changes.
The event keynote speakers include:
- Mr. Jude Defensor, a dynamic entrepreneur from the Philippines, on ‘Incubating technology start‐ups that address climate change causes or effects’
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Seree Supratid, Thailand’s renowned expert on natural disasters, on ‘Floods and Droughts: Are these New Normal for Thailand?’
- Mae Chee Sansanee Sthirasuta, a Buddhist nun, Founder and Director of Sathira‐Dhammasathan Center, in Bangkok, on ‘Green Mindfulness’
- Mr. Pran Siamwalla, Thai finance expert on ‘Bringing big money to small producers’
- Dr. Pimonrat (Som) Tiansawat,Professor, Biology Department Chiang Mai University, on ‘Reaching Gen‐Y on climate change: planting ideas for a greener tomorrow’
- Quentin Vaquette, Belgian engineer and Project manager for Hydrogen Solutions at ENGIE Asia-Pacific.
- A surprise celebrity guest; Mr. Jesdaporn Pholdee, he is an actor, producer and television presenter, who will share his thoughts about climate change!
To spark creativity and innovation there will be a Student Challenge, where university students both of individual and groups are invited to submit two minute video presentations of their original ideas on how to help fight climate change until 5 pm, June 8, 2016. The top three ideas will be presented during the event and the winners will win respectively THB 100,000, THB 50,000 and THB 25,000 to make their ideas come to life.