On Wednesday 2nd July 2014, Laguna Phuket & Phuket Rajabhat University signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for a 2 year pilot program (1st April 2014 – 31st March 2014) on a Mobile Learning Centre Partnership. The MOU was signed by Khun Ravi Chandran – Managing Director of Laguna Resorts & Hotels PLC and Khun Disan Laethongkorn – Vice President of Phuket Rajabhat University.
According to a 2008 survey report by the National Statistics office Thailand, approximately 14.2% of Thai people cannot read, those in rural areas read less, and more than 1/3 of Thais do not read for pleasure or self education.
Laguna Phuket observed the challenges of literacy among disadvantaged primary school students. One example, at the Laguna Phuket Kids Summer Camp, many students as old as grade 6 struggled to write sentences down in their camp diaries.
1. To increase the rate and quality of literacy among young students.
2. To create learning opportunities in a fun and engaging environment for both students and teachers.
1. Fundraised 2.2 million Baht from athletes, marathoners, associates, and community members.
2. Matching fund of 2.2 million Baht by Banyan Tree Global Foundation to purchase and outfit the mobile vehicle, an additional 500,000THB to purchase books and learning materials.
3. Phuket Rajabhat University provides consultancy and training on library management, curriculum, and pedagogy expertise.
4. Begin “Fully Booked!” operation with 3 pilot schools, Baan Don Child Care Center, Wat Thep Kasatree School, Baan Cherng Talay School since June 2014 onwards.
5. Fully Booked! Mobile Learning Centre will be collaborating with schools in nearby provinces in 2016.
For more information please contact: Community Relations and CSR on +66 (0) 76 362 300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To see photos from this event please visit: http://events.phuketindex.com/mobile-learning-centre-partnership-2878.html