Chief Executive of Phuket Administration Office – PaiboonUpattising, together with Council Chairman – Pradit Saengchan and Council members recently participated in a memorial ceremony in Sapan Hin to celebrate the nine Thalang heroes. Governor Maitri Inthusut was also in attendance and presided over the ceremony.
In his speech, Governor Maitri informed the public that Phuket Provincial Office received a grant to construct nine commemorative statues of the Thalang heroes which are to be sited in Tambon Thepkasatri in Thalang, an area dedicated as Thalang Memorial Field under the project of the same name.
The office responsible for the project was Phuket Department of Public Works and Town & Country Planning who was allocated a budget of 26 million baht. The statues are now installed but were placed in Sapan Hin for the purpose of an initiation ceremony.
The nine heroes of Thalang are:
1. ThaoThepKasatri, (18th Century local heroine, wife of deceased Thalang Governor, who led troop of men and defeated Burmese army surrounding Thalang at that time)
2. Thao Sri Suntorn (sister of ThaoThepKasatri)
3. Phraya ThalangTongpoon (uncle of ThaoThepKasatri)
4. Phraya ThalangTien (18th Century regent of eight southern provinces)
5. Chao ChomManda Thong (daughter of ThaoThep)
6. Mae Prang (daughter of ThaoThep)
7. Phraya Krabatjui (son of ThaoThep)
8. MahadLekNiam (son of ThaoThep)
9. NaiThongpeng (officer in charge of ammunition supply)
On the auspicious day, the nine statues were paraded from Chatchai Pier to Sapan Hin for the initiation ceremony and for the public to pay tribute to them. The following day, the statues were taken to Thalang Memorial Field in Tambon Thepkasatri, AmphoeThalang where Brahmin priests performed a puja ceremony before installation began.
Governor Maitri added that Thalang Memorial Field stands as testament to the bravery of the local heroes who risked lives to preserve Phuket’s independence.