The East-West Center (EWC) is accepting applications from scholars and analysts who wish to undertake policy-relevant research and writing in one of the following areas:
- International relations of Southeast Asia
- Political change in Southeast Asia
- ASEAN integration and community-building efforts
Funded by a grant from The Henry Luce Foundation, the fellowship finances a three-month residence at the East-West Center in Washington, D.C. While in residence in Washington. The fellows will complete an article or monograph to be considered for publication in a peer-reviewed publication, such as the East-West Center’s Asia Pacific Bulletin series or Asia Pacific Issues series. The first full draft of the manuscript should be completed before the end of the residency period. Fellows will also give a public presentation on their topic. Up to three fellowships will be awarded.
- A monthly stipend of US$2,500 to $4,500 (dependent upon experience) while in residence at EWC in Washington.
- Round trip airfare to Washington, D.C. Residency at the Center will start in September 2010.
- A small grant to cover field research (in Asia only) may be available at the discretion of the Director (Fieldwork in the region will be completed prior to residence at the East-West Center in Washington.)
Applicants with or without a Ph.D. will be considered. Applicants without a Ph.D. will be considered based on their relevant professional experience. Applicants must be nationals of a country within the scope of their Fellowship or the United States and eligible to receive a fellowship stipend.
- Completed fellowship application form
- Cover letter
- Full CV
- Two letters of reference
- Policy-relevant research proposal of ten pages (double spaced). The proposal should discuss the policy problem or issue to be examined, tentative hypothesis and arguments
- Review and short bibliography of the relevant literature
- Plans for fieldwork (if any)
- Project time frame.
- If field research funds are sought, briefly explain why and how they are to be used.
All materials must be received by October 15, 2009, at:
Southeast Asia Fellowship Program
East-West Center in Washington
1819 L St., N.W., 2nd Floor
Washington, D.C. 20036-3866
The selection decisions will be announced on or before December 20, 2009.
Download application form and find more information at http://www.eastwestcenter.org/scholarships-fellowships/southeast-asia-fellowship-program-washington.