The International Business Association of Phuket (IBAP) monthly meeting held on October 8th discussed “The State of Phuket. Our Economy & Politics” with a panel presentation by Bill Barnett, Alasdair Forbes and Martin Carpenter, MBE.
Their members and guests’ meeting was a moderated panel presentation by the three Phuket business and information experts addressing the economic situation and related consequences for foreigners living and working in Phuket. Questions were later accepted from the audience, with some questions submitted by email:
Phuketindex went along to film the first hour of the meeting and recorded 4 videos;
the questions or topics discussed were:
in part 1: (Apologies for low sound volume, but it increases after 4mins 50 secs)
- How has the current political climate in Thailand affected Phuket and what are the probabilities that they will resurface before the coming high season?
- How has the fallout from the world economic crisis affected business and tourism in Phuket? (Has tourism taken a big hit and will numbers be down for the coming high season?)
- How much of a factor is the increasing strength of the baht?
- How much has the cost of living increased in Phuket? (Is it really the most expensive place in Thailand to live & buy property?)
- What is the role of an Honorary Consul?
What are the new building rules on slopes and their effects?
Is the Thai census compulsory for foreign residents too? (no but recommended see www.nso.go.th)
Questions from audience:
- How to register staff in Phuket from other provinces & how to get more on census, and more foreigners to register with embassies?
- How to reduce corruption & detention or fines from overstaying visas?
(before our tape & sound ran out towards end of this part)
About Bill Barnett
Bill Barnett is the Founder and Managing Director of C9 Hotelworks, a leading hospitality consultancy that specializes in tourism, hotel and property development in Asia Pacific. Bill has a proven track record in asset management and has held many executive roles within leading brands including; Laguna Phuket, Millennium & Copthorne Hotels and Century International Hotels. He has also acted in ownership representation for hotel brands including the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Grand Hyatt, Hilton, Westin and Sofitel.
Bill was awarded a prestigious PATA Gold Award in 2007 for Marketing and is a member of ISHC (International Society of Hospitality Consultants). Bill’s popular blog, thephuketinsider.com is the authoritative source of all Phuket hotel and real estate issues and trends and he regularly writes property columns in Thailand’s English language newspaper the Nation and the Phuket Gazette.
About Alasdair Forbes
Alasdair Forbes has been a professional journalist for 39 years, working on publications in the UK, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Cyprus, Dubai and Hong Kong. For seven years he was managing editor of the Phuket Gazette. He is now managing partner of Forbes Communications, an agency specializing in writing news and features, editing, managing magazines and newspapers, and offering PR consulting services. Board member of the Phuket Community Foundation and regular contributor to phuketobserver.com.
About Martin Carpenter, MBE
Martin Carpenter received an MBE, Member British Empire from the Queen of England. He currently serves as a British Honorary Consulate in Phuket providing limited consular services for British citizens.
Martin is a director of Phuket Concierge, a company providing a combination of bespoke services that might range from full management to sales and marketing representation, through the Corporate Concierge.
More details on http://ibap-phuket.org